Sunday, October 7, 2007

New place, lots of stores

Well, I have officially arrived in Wichita and moved into my apartment. At first, I wasn't liking it too much. It was built in the 70s and is very retro. However, once the movers arrived with my stuff, it started to look better. My friend Ruth rode down with me. We made it in 13 hours! Road trips are always fun, because you tell all sorts of stories about your life and eat junky food. My parents came down Friday and unpacked my kitchen. My dad's handyman skills were helpful with a couple items. Ruth and I lost our enthusiasm around 4 p.m. Friday. Well, it was more like I needed to crash, or I was going to bite someone's head off. I had been up for 29 hours, and I could not do anymore. After resting Friday night, we were off on our quest to find various household items. I spent so much money! And this might surprise some of you, but I actually shopped at Walmart. I'm really excited about my retro bathroom. My little dining area also looks cute. Ruth convinced me to hang up some of my photos, which definitely makes it feel more like home. My cat Daisy has found several places to lounge. She was such a good kitty during the trip. She occasionally meowed, but she didn't throw up or make a mess in her carrier. Ruth scored me a great deal on a new dresser with her awesome negotiating skills. Hopefully I can get it delivered next week. The two of us had a fun time. I'm glad she came along, because she kept me focused. It also helped with the transition. At one point on Friday I was really wishing I was back in Indiana. Her positive attitude and enthusiasm helped me power through. The whole change probably won't hit me until this coming Sunday. That's when I'll miss church and hanging out with my friends. I must remember that God has good things for me here, and I can always visit Indiana.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it in one piece, and so did Daisy.
The worst part of a move isn't the packing, I think, but the unpacking.

Anonymous said...

***miss you already***
we're getting jeremy back, which you already knew, and a new partimer named Rochelle ... that has to be good, right?
you simply must post some pictures!
***wishing you well for your first day tomorrow***