Wednesday, May 9, 2007

So unless you're living in oblivion, you've heard about the EF-5 tornado that wiped out Greensburg, KS. Thankfully, none of my family and friends live close to the area. I do have one friend in Wichita, about an hour and a half away. She had just driven through Greensburg this past Friday, and now it's gone. I keep checking out the Wichita Eagle for more pictures and stories. It's total devastation. Tornadoes are such freaks of nature. They can totally demolish a house, but leave a Bible on a table untouched. I read a story today saying a rescue worker found three clocks, all stopped at 9:50 p.m., when the tornado went through town. It's just so eerie.

My siblings and I spent so much time in our basement during the summer. Mom would order us downstairs at the slightest threat of a tornado. We always took the lime green booster seat and pillows down to the storm cellar. We'd listen to the radio or read books. Occasionally, we would go up to check the status only to have mom shew us back downstairs. Maybe she just wanted to get rid of us for a while. :-)We learned that tornado watches aren't that big of a deal. We learned how to spot wall clouds,which could lead to a tornado. And we learned that if the temperature suddenly changes, the birds stop chirping, the sky turns green and it's raining sideways...quickly run to the basement! To this day, those signs scare me. I hope the people of Greensburg can move beyond their fear and rebuild.

No comments: