Monday, April 14, 2008

High school drama

My fellow newsies should check out the latest MTV reality show "The Paper," which follows a high school journalism class in California.  The first episode aired tonight, and it reminded me of how some high schoolers think they are God's gift to journalism. Don't get me wrong, there are some high schoolers who are talented and will make their mark in newspaper land. However, there are others who are too full of themselves. In South Bend, I worked with some of these kids for our 'Next Generation' page. I had high hopes. I wanted to share my passion, and teach these kids how to write better stories and make them visually exciting. Instead, I had many who didn't understand the meaning of deadline and teachers who said, "Can't you just print what we put in our paper?" I would have been so grateful to work at a 'real' paper when I was in high school. I guess it's a different generation now (and I'm not that old!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw promos for that, but didn't catch it last night. Another reality show? Help! And you're right, you're NOT that old!