Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Living in airports

I know this is going to sound negative, but yesterday was one of the worst flying experiences I've ever had. I was supposed to leave South Bend at 8:07 a.m. and arrive in Kansas City, via Detroit, around 1 p.m. Instead, I was in five different airports and four different states before I arrived in KC around midnight. It started out with a two-hour delay in South Bend, because of thunderstorms going through Detroit. Then the flight in Detroit was delayed several times because of mechanical issues with the intrument panel. Then they just canceled it! By that time, it was already 2:30 p.m. I called a 1-888 number and got myself switched to an American Airlines flight that would go through Dallas. The only other NW flight would have taken me to Minneapolis and wouldn't get me to KC until 10:55 p.m. I was supposed to arrive in KC by 8:55, but because of delays I didn't get there until midnight. The one bright spot was meeting a Christian couple from the KC area. They had even heard of Granger Community Church, which is in my area. They were my hangout buddies, and we managed to get our seats together on the last two flights. I also met a girl who designs and builds theater sets. I thought that was a pretty cool job. My niece was amazingly awake the whole drive home from the airport. She kept sayin, "nenny, you laughing." She has grown a lot since I last saw her.

Well, I'm off to squeeze in a shower before we head out for the day. I think my sister and her husband might buy a house today. Exciting stuff!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

terrible start to your trip :-( hope everything goes much better for the rest of the trip.
congrats to your bro on the achievement :-)