Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So I'm sure everyone has heard about the tradedy at Virginia Tech. Working at a newspaper, I hear about it all day. The televisions near me are usually on CNN. At first, it didn't phase me much. I know...that's really sad. Unfortunately, those of us in the news business tend to become disensitized, jaded, cynical...I've never wanted to become that way. I'm starting to feel some more emotions after hearing the reports. On the way to work this morning, I tuned in to NPR. They were covering the story and spoke of a memorial service on campus. Hearing a group of students sing Amazing Grace started to tug at my heartstrings. I just can't imagine what it was like for those students. Last night, I started to read a couple plays that the shooter wrote for a class. They were so disturbing, that I had to stop.

A couple things about this situation are bothering me. The first might surprise some of you. I'm really annoyed with the news media. I know the general public wants to know the story, but it seems like reporters just plowed in there. Those students need to mourn, and at least have time to take a breath! You don't just recover from a situation like that within a couple hours. Yes, I want to hear all the details just as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean I need them right now. Also, much blame is being thrown around. The university is catching a lot of flack for not canceling classes after the first incident, and not better communicating with the students. You try getting the word out to 26,000 students in a hurry. Plus, administrators and police thought the first incident was isolated. How were they to know that two hours later he would go shooting in the engineering building? I know, it's our natural instinct to place blame, especially if we have lost someone we love. But it seems like we do it way too often. People blame Bush for their sons and daughters dying in Iraq. The mayor of New Orleans blames the government for not helping when so many lives were lost in Katrina. I'm not saying there's no validity in these accusations, but how is passing blame helping anything? Does it make us feel better? Does it fix the problem? I say no. It only promotes more discord.

Romans 8:28 says...And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
I hope something good does come out of this tragedy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I felt exactly the same about "we" journalists. I completely chided NBC for the Dateline Monday night ... it was too soon to be trying to find blame, trying to figure out what went wrong, trying to come up with a solution when we still didn't know who did it and who was killed. I voiced outrage to my hubby that night and to someone at my church the next morning. I understand journalists have a job to do: REPORT. Not be the first to uncover everything done wrong. That's not part of healing. Placing blame, shifting guilt, creating guilt where there should be none. That's my biggest frustration with the media, the shift from "reporting" to finger pointing.