Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Back from hiatus

Wow, it's been a few years since I've posted. Guess I got sucked into facebook land and lost interest in blogging about my life. Friends used to tease me about how I always blogged about food in the past. Well, two of my loves are food and children (especially my nieces). Oh yeah, God is on that list of loves too. :-) I figure there are plenty of specialty blogs out there, so why don't I join the crowd. I can share thoughts on my passions and maybe make connections with people who share the same interests.

Today I wanted to talk about "Extreme Couponing." Admittedly, I'm fascinated by the show even though it seems like the same thing every week: Couponers talk about how much time they spend cutting, researching and organizing; go dumpster diving with their kids; brag about their stockpile; get nervous at the bill they're amassing and then rejoice when it gets down to their predicted amount. It's rather predictable. The products I see the most are: cereal, japanese noodle meals, sports drinks and beauty products. Hmmm...wouldn't ya love to survive on that year round? :-) I commend these people for their dedication to saving money, but I wonder how it's affecting the rest of us who maybe save $10 on our outings. While I rejoice at my $10 savings, it's like chump change compared to what these extremers save. And how is their popularity affecting the coupons we receive in our paper? This article addresses these questions.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113020-10125-1-how-to-get-the-most-from-coupons?ywaad=ad0035&nc

1 comment:

BessSmith55 said...

The link only took me to a Yahoo Financial page. I didn't see the article listed in an obvious place. Oh well, without the article, my view is that when we save money on products or services that we use on a daily/monthly basis, we are probably saving more than they are in the long run. If we do extreme couponing and purchase products we normally don't use we are wasting not only money but precious time. So the $10 you saved this month is $120 this year. That's not chump change, that's good stewardship. :)