Friday, January 11, 2008

Trying to be healthy

The key word is trying. One of my old co-workers from the Trib has a Mt. Dew counter on his blog. He adds a can for every day he doesn't drink it. I know I need to stop drinking it so much, because it's bad for me. The longest I went without it was three weeks, and I allowed myself to still drink Sprite or Sierra Mist. My friend Lindsey made a pact with her friend to give up pop and to exercise. I'm not joining in on the reward system they created for themselves, but I'm enjoying some accountability. I'm not sure that I want to go cold turkey on all pop. So far this week I've had FUZE, Crystal Light and lemonade. The Dew tends to be my stress drink. When I'm really struggling with a page, I drink some of 'Nectar of the Gods' (that's for you Melissa ;-) ) and I get a boost of brain power. I read somewhere recently that caffeine speeds of your metabolism, but I'm not feelin' it.

I've exercised twice this week. I walked on the treadmill on Monday, and I did a dance aerobics video yesterday. I feel better about myself. I'm hoping to hit the Y tomorrow before work. I'm baby sitting my niece on Monday, so that should be exercise in itself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems like less soda and excercising is on a lot of people's list this year. i'm part of an exercise "competition" for a prize at church and i've cut way down on my starbucks consumption. but i had 2 dews in a four-hour period yesterday, so i don't think i'm gonna jump on that bandwagon. i'm addicted to the sugar content!

Unknown said...

ah yes, mountain dew...

actually, i'm closing in on two years mountain dew free. amazing, yes? not even touched a drop of it.

i had a recent problem with root beer that i've kicked, at least on a daily basis.

now i'm mostly drinking water with the occasional splurge of something, whether that's some fancy, expensive trendy FUZE, or sometimes a root beer, it doesn't matter.

doing a contest is too much pressure for me.
i need to motivate myself, and need to do that soon.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Lynette. Maybe you can find a substitute for your sugar fix that's not so calorie-filled!